Berlin - Berlin Cathedral and Palace of the Republic
In the background is the Berlin Cathedral which is also called the Berliner Dom in Germany. It was built by the Protestants after splitting from the Catholic Church and was intended to be the Protestant answer to St. Peter in the Vatican. Prior to this cathedral, which was originally built in 1842, there were other church buildings at this site. During the World War II (on 24 May 1944) it was significantly damaged by Allied bombing and exterior repairs didn't start until 1975. The restoration of the interior started in 1984 and it was reopened in 1993.
Palace of the Republic Demolition
The remnant of a building in the foreground is the last piece of the Palace of the Republic before total demolition. A few days later, this part was also taken down. Originally built in 1973, the building hosted the Socialist Unity Party and represented the prevailing architecture of the East German government. After German reunification, a decision was made to demolish this primary symbol of the divided Germany. At that time the site was supposed to become a park; however, now the plan is to build a new palace that includes an art museum.
Best Berlin ImagesBest Berlin PhotosBest Berlin PicturesGermanyBerlinCathedralPalace6358turtle